2020 Leadership Advancement Program
July 2020 through March 2021
Chicago, IL - Los Angeles, CA
Application Deadline: Thursday, March 12 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time
NAPABA’s Leadership Advancement Program is a year-long experiential program targeted at building leadership skills by allowing rising attorneys to step into their own leadership style, while providing an opportunity to foster genuine relationships with peers within the profession, especially between in-house counsel (IHC) and law firm attorneys. Attorneys in the program will:
- Spend time assessing strengths and weaknesses and make improvements in ways that are noticeable to both themselves and others
- Practice taking on greater challenges
- Help view themselves as leaders in any environment
- Become better, more effective communicators and listeners
- Become better at anticipating the oppositions faced in a challenge
- Leave with a cohort of 24 advisors and friends ready to support them through any challenge ahead
Questions? Contact Navdeep Singh.
Application Deadline: Thursday, March 12 - 11:59 pm ET
The program is designed for developing mid-career Asian Pacific American attorney leadership skills. Enrollment in the program is limited to 24 participants, with an even balance between IHC and law firm attorneys. All NAPABA members are encouraged to apply, although the selection committee will focus on the following criteria this year:
- Law firm candidates: this year’s program will prefer candidates with between six and 10 years of experience
- In-house candidates: preference for a minimum of three to four years of IHC experience, with six to 10 years of overall practice experience
All applicants must be NAPABA members. For more information about how to join please, visit the membership page.
Costs and Fees
NAPABA will provide the trainers, program materials, venue, and in-program meals. If accepted, attendees will be expected to commit a program fee and provide their own travel and accommodations, if required.
- Law firm candidates: $400
- In-house candidates: $250
Limited stipends may be available for accepted program participants. Information will be shared following acceptance into the program.
Rudhir Krishtel is a certified Co-Active Coach and facilitator focusing on workplace wellness and intensity. Many lawyers struggle with stress and lack of purpose in their practice. As a former lawyer, Rudhir coaches clients and hosts workshops to identify the issues that hold lawyers back from advancing in their career with clarity and fulfillment.
Prior to becoming an executive coach and consultant, Rudhir practiced law for 15 years as a federal clerk, patent litigation partner at Fish & Richardson, and then as senior patent counsel at Apple.
His lawyer days led him to train as a teacher for yoga (Baptiste Institute) and mindfulness meditation (Warrior One), and as a Professional Certified Coach (Coaches Training Institute & International Coaching Federation), to serve as much-needed support for the legal community.
Charles H. Jung
Charles Jung is a trial lawyer who loves practicing law. His practice emphasizes intelligently aggressive trial advocacy, business litigation, trade secrets, class actions, and employment/wage & hour litigation. He has substantial experience in trade secrets/employee mobility litigation and in class action litigation. He is a frequent commentator in the legal press on these topics.
He is active in the Asian American Pacific Islander legal community, including serving as President of the California Asian Pacific American Bar Association, serving in multiple roles throughout and involvement in NAPABA, and as one of the founders and facilitators of the current Leadership Advancement Program.
Friday, July 17 - Sunday, July 19, 2020
The program will commence with a 2.5-day program starting Friday, July 17 through midday Sunday, July 19, 2020. This weekend includes:
- Team building exercises
- Assessments and overview of leadership and communication style
- Grounding your career vision
- Goal setting and planning exercises
- Addressing unique hurdles facing Asian Pacific Americans
- Launching a team-based community project to allow participants to further forge meaningful relationships
Thursday, November 5, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
The second gathering is Thursday, November 5, 2020, in Los Angeles, CA, at the NAPABA Convention.
- Recap and closeout of the team-based community project
- Launching a cohort driven coaching program to push cohort members to pursue leadership goals
Saturday, March 20, 2021
The closeout weekend is a one-day program back in Chicago, IL the weekend of March 20, 2021.
- A daylong intensive on developing executive presence
Application Deadline: Thursday, March 12 at 11:59 pm ET
Applicants must be NAPABA members. For more information about NAPABA membership and to activate your profile, please visit napaba.org/membership.
Members of NAPABA-affiliated bar associations must activate their complimentary membership to become a NAPABA member and be eligible for the program. For more information, please contact your affiliate leadership.