The Call for Nominations is now closed. Thank you to everyone who submitted nominations!
The Daniel K. Inouye Trailblazer Award, NAPABA’s highest honor, recognizes the outstanding achievements, commitment, and leadership of lawyers who have paved the way for the advancement of other Asian Pacific American attorneys. Trailblazers have demonstrated vision, courage, and tenacity in their practice. They have also made substantial and lasting contributions to the Asian Pacific American legal profession, as well as the broader Asian Pacific American community.
On November 8, 2013, NAPABA held a special ceremony during its 25th Annual Convention to rename the Trailblazer Award to the NAPABA Daniel K. Inouye Trailblazer Award, in honor of the late Senator Daniel K. Inouye of Hawaii.
The deadline for nominations is June 30, 2016 at 5 p.m. EDT.
The award recipient will be selected on the basis of the following factors:
- Lifetime of achievements, commitment, and leadership that have paved the way for the:
- Advancement of Asian Pacific American attorneys;
- Advancement and strengthening of the Asian Pacific American community; and/or
- Furtherance of the NAPABA mission as follows:
- We are the national voice for the Asian Pacific American legal profession.
- We promote justice, equity and opportunity for Asian Pacific Americans.
- We foster professional development, legal scholarship, advocacy, and community involvement.
- Inspirational pioneer or leader in his/her chosen field(s) of endeavor.
- Accomplishments that broke a barrier(s) or resulted in attaining a goal not yet previously attained by an Asian Pacific American, including diversity and inclusion achievements such as those for:
- Practice Area (e.g., law firm, in-house, judge, civil rights, community organization, public sector, legal education);
- Gender; and/or
- Sustained encouragement of and support provided to other Asian Pacific Americans to advance, attain a breakthrough, or lead.
- Prior involvement with NAPABA on a national level or at the affiliate level preferred.
Any NAPABA member, affiliate, or region may nominate an individual or more than one person for the award.
The following information must be provided for each nominee in order for a nomination to be accepted for consideration:
1. Fully completed online nomination form (see below).
2. Statement in support of nominee (no more than 10 pages). The Statement should include:
- Details of lifetime achievements that have paved the way for the advancement of Asian Pacific American attorneys, advancement and strengthening of the Asian Pacific American community, and/or furtherance of the NAPABA mission.
- Details of inspirational leadership in his/her chosen field(s) of endeavor.
- Details of how accomplishments broke a barrier(s) or resulted in attaining a goal not yet previously attained by an Asian Pacific American, including diversity and inclusion achievements.
- Details of prior involvement with NAPABA on a national level or at the affiliate level if applicable.
3. Current CV or resume of the nominee.
4. One or more letters of support.
Contact Jonathan Widjaja at firstname.lastname@example.org.