The National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) is a national trade association based in Washington, D.C. NAPABA represents the interests of almost 50,000 Asian Pacific American attorneys, judges, law professors, and law students and approximately 75 national, state, and local associated Asian Pacific American bar associations around the country. Its members include solo practitioners, large firm lawyers, corporate counsel, legal service and non-profit attorneys, and lawyers serving at all levels of government.
The Membership Manager is a full-time, exempt position in NAPABA’s Washington D.C. office. The Membership Manager maintains the membership database, manages member programs, provides direct assistance to affiliate and committee leaders, assists with member communications, and performs other membership development work as assigned. The Membership Manager will work under the supervision of the Executive Director.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Excellent member-oriented ethic and ability to interact positively and effectively with a variety of audiences (including internal and external stakeholders) using written, verbal, and nonverbal communications.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong writing skills.
- Proven technology/computer skills.
- Ability to think critically and strategically.
- Ability to multitask numerous projects.
- Ability to work accurately and efficiently under pressure and with multiple deadlines.
- Self-sufficient and able to work independently.
- Organized and highly detail-oriented.
- Ability to provide and receive constructive feedback.
- A team player who is able and willing to work collaboratively and congenially in a small office environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Proficiency or familiarity with YourMembership preferred.
- Bachelor's degree or certification in a related field required.
- 3-5 years of membership or program management experience required.
- This position involves sedentary work and working at a computer for long periods of time.
- This position requires the ability to exert sufficient force to lift and carry packages up to 50 pounds on occasion and the ability to operate a computer and calculator.
- This position requires the close visual acuity needed to prepare data and analyze figures, transcribe numbers and words, inspect documents, and view a computer screen for prolonged periods of time.
- This position requires the ability to input figures and text into written and electronic formats using a computer and pen and paper.
- This position requires the ability to communicate with individuals by means of the spoken word in person and by telephone and in writing by correspondence including email.
- This position requires the ability to travel to the NAPABA office and other locations.
Membership Management (approx. 35% of time)
- Maintain the membership database and ensure data integrity and timely availability of accurate member records and information.
- Provide thought leadership about the structure and organization of the membership database, which requires ongoing updates and internal changes.
- Invoice affiliates and national associate members on an annual basis and serve as the primary contact for affiliate membership inquiries.
- Run reports, process dues billing and renewal transactions, and update membership and other records.
- Maintain specialty membership directories.
- Coordinate data integration for NAPABA mobile applications.
Program Support (approx. 35% of time)
- Coordinate member programs including the affiliate grant program, the volunteer general counsel program, and specialty leadership development programs.
- Coordinate all internal and external awards programs, which require collecting and sorting applications, corresponding with members, and ensuring timely submission of materials to external programs.
- Manage the NAPABA job postings website.
- Manage the NAPABA Board of Governors nomination and elections process.
- Provide direct support to committee leaders, including managing webinars, troubleshooting website issues, and maintaining membership lists.
Communications & Outreach (approx. 30% of time)
- Serve as the primary contact for NAPABA member inquiries and respond to membership questions by email and phone in a timely manner.
- Update membership pages of the NAPABA website.
- Compile and distribute a monthly e-newsletter to members.
- Compile and update directories of committee chairs and affiliate presidents.
- Manage automated email messages sent to members through the membership database.
- Draft congratulatory letters on behalf of the NAPABA President for affiliate and national associate events.
- Coordinate marketing campaigns to grow NAPABA membership.
- Explore member benefits to increase direct membership dues.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range is $50,000-$60,000 annually, depending on experience and qualifications. Benefits (after applicable waiting periods and other eligibility requirements) include: 100% employer-paid individual health insurance coverage (including dental and vision); 6% employer-match for 401(k); 14 days paid-time off in the first year of employment (16-22 days in future years); 15 paid holidays yearly (including all federal holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day); and eligibility for flexible work hours and teleworking up to two days/week.
Interested candidates should email a resume and writing sample to NAPABA Executive Assistant Robin Glenn at email@example.com with the subject line “Membership Manager Applicant.” Applicants also should provide the names and contact information for three references, at least one of whom should be a current or former supervisor (employment or volunteer). Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
NAPABA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce.