Asian Pacific Americans and the Federal Judiciary – Article III Courts
As of November 3, 2016
For a more detailed listing of Asian Pacific Americans (APA) federal judges and nominations, please click here.
For information on the U.S. Supreme Court vacancy and nominations, please click here.
APA Federal Judges: A Snapshot
|Article III Judgeships
|Court of Appeals
|Court of Int'l Trade
- Pending Nominations:
- Judge Lucy H. Koh – U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (nominated Feb. 25, 2016)
- Karen Gren Scholer – U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas (nominated Mar. 15, 2016)
- Florence Y. Pan – U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (nominated Apr. 28, 2016)
- *Frances Tydingco-Gatewood – U.S. District Court of Guam (nominated May, 18 2016) *Article IV judicial nominee
Today, there are 26 APA serving as Article III judges across the United States federal appellate and district courts. At the start of the Obama Administration, there were eight active APA federal court judges — all at the district level. During the Obama Administration, there have been 29 nominations of APA judges.
If the number of APA judges reflected the general population, there should be approximately 11-12 APA federal appellate court judges, and 40-41 APA federal district court judges.
U.S. Court of Appeals
- Four active appellate judges out of 179 judgeships
- Judge Denny Chin – U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Judge Jacqueline H. Nguyen – U.S Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Judge Sri Srinivasan – U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- Judge Raymond T. Chen – U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- One senior status judge: Judge A. Wallace Tashima (Ninth Circuit)
- One pending nomination: Judge Lucy H. Koh, nominated February 25, 2016 to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; hearing July 13, 2016; 13-17 voted our of committee September 15, 2016
U.S. District Courts
- Twenty-two active district court judges out of 674 judgeships
- Three senior status judges
- Five pending nominations:
- Karen Gren Scholer , nominated March 15, 2016, to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- Florence Y. Pan, nominated April 28, 2016, to the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Regina M. Rogdriguez, nominated April 28, 2016 to the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Abid R. Qureshi, nominated September 6, 2016 to the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Diane Gujarati, nominated September 13, 2016 to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
A History of APA Articles III Judges
Confirmations by Presidents
|George H.W. Bush
|George W. Bush
*Chief Judge Cyrus Nils Tavares (D. Hawaii) and his family identify as Native Hawaiian.
Prior to the Obama administration, there had not been more than two nominations or confirmations of APAs to Article III judgeships during any year.
For a more detailed history and statistics of the nominations and confirmations to the federal courts (including Article III, Article IV, and District of Columbia Courts), please click here.