CBLA 2015 Keynote Speaker: Ramona E. Romero, General Counsel, Office of the General Counsel, Princeton University, and Past President, Hispanic National Bar Association
Thursday, June 25 | 4:00pm – 7:30pm
Hon. Peter M. Reyes, Jr., Judge, Minnesota Court of Appeals and Past President, Hispanic National Bar Association
Mary L. Smith, Immediate Past President, National Native American Bar Association
Wendy C. Shiba, Past President, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
The CBLA is not just any conference -- part substantive knowledge, part skill building and part networking -- it is a unique chance to build expertise and develop lasting relationships. Our panel of founding CBLA Steering Committee members along with a member of last year’s class will share tips and tactics for making the most out of our time together.
- Let’s Play CBLA Bingo: Oh, The People You’ll Meet
Our Game Show Host:
George Chen, President, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Mix and Mingle: Welcome (Host)
Representative from Briggs Morgan
Good food, convivial conversation and a chance to explore Minneapolis.
Friday, June 26 | 8:00am – 6:00pm
- Start the Day with Some Coffee (or Tea)
- Hear from Our Host: Representative from Dorsey & Whitney
Timothy R. Baer, Executive Vice-President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Target Corporation
- Let’s Make a Difference: Leading with Impact
Speaker: Rosevelie Marquez Morales, a partner at Harris Beach, Past President of the Puerto Rican Bar Association, and current National Secretary of the Hispanic National Bar Association
- Let’s Have a Meaningful Conversation about Leadership
An opportunity for participants and assigned mentors to meet and have a conversation.
- Let’s Understand and Exercise Good Governance: Exercising Fiduciary Responsibilities and Working with Your Board
Speaker: Wendy C. Shiba, Past President, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Let’s Check Our Email and Grab Some Coffee: Refreshment Break
- Let’s Handle Those Difficult Situations: How do you deal with?
A Governance Town Hall Discussion
Moderator: George Chen, President, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Reactors: Linda Benally, President, National Native American Bar Association
William Hubbard, President, American Bar Association
Cynthia D. Mares, President, Hispanic National Bar Association
Pamela J. Meanes, President, National Bar Association
- Let’s Go to Lunch
- Let’s Explore Diversity and Inclusion
Speaker: Paulette Brown, President-Elect, American Bar Association
- Let’s Ignite Our Membership: Communication, Collaboration and Community
Discussion topics for Ignite Talks:
Leadership Transition, Succession Plan
Beating Down the Door Engaging Members
Feeling Good about Your Bar Service
- Let’s Chat: Resource Roundtable Discussions on Membership and
Communication Topics with Ignite Speakers
Take a deeper dive into the ignite topics during these roundtable breakout discussions. This is an opportunity for interaction and sharing. Tables will be rotated every 20 minutes so you’ll have lots of opportunities to explore different topics.
- Let’s Reflect: Take Away Break and Open Discussion Roundtables
Reconvene with your mentor leaders in your assigned groups to reflect on your work and what you’ve heard.
Saturday, June 27 | 8:30am – 12:30pm
- Let’s Grab a Cup of Joe
- Let’s Advocate: The Theory and Practice of Making a Difference
Moderator: Benjamin Crump, President Elect, National Bar Association
Jin Y. Hwang, President Elect, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Robert T. Maldonado, President Elect, Hispanic National Bar Association
- Let’s Be Clear: Vision & Strategy for Yourself and Your Organization
Speaker: Hon. Peter M. Reyes, Jr., Judge, Minnesota Court of Appeals and Past President, Hispanic National Bar Association
This session will help you to make effective use of personal planning and strategic visioning for yourself and your organization. Thoughtful reflection with a clear path can be transformative.
- Let’s Make a Plan: Action Planning, Individual Reflection Time and Discussion
Speaker: Dr. Artika R. Tyner, St. Thomas University, School of Law and member, ABA Council for
Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Educational Pipeline
Facilitated Discussions with Mentor Leaders.
- Let’s Wrap it Up: Closing Thoughts and What’s Next
Michelle Gallardo, ABA Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Profession
What’s next for the alumni? What will you do together as a group? How can you stay connected as a group? We’ll also celebrate the work that you’ve done together as the next generation of bar leaders.